Postcard #7: The Speechless Heart


The rules of this game are pretty simple, and there are many variations. You are given a photo, a painting, some kind of visual source. Take it and write. Doesn't have to be about the subject of the photo, or even refer to it. Just take out whatever it inspires and put it on paper.

A couple weeks ago I received this photo from a friend. As part of the message with it, she hoped it would inspire me to write something. She was taking her daughter to school, and passed this tree along the road. After she passed it on to me, some time elapsed with no general idea of what I wanted to do with it. Then, suddenly all at once, the poem burst out. The shy child who became an adult and still hides a private shyness. The kind of character I once was, may still be, to a small degree. But it's the observation of all the children and adults I have seen working in schools, that there will always be the shy ones among us. Silent, but hopeful, that we will be noticed.


Postcard #7:
The Speechless Heart

I looked up from my work
And saw her standing close.
I became the school kid,
Speechless from her proximity.
My hands fumbled as I looked away.
Others walked into the room
And drew her attention.
My lips felt heavy,
My ears ringing with others' voices.
I wanted to tell her how special she was to me,
The one I trusted over all the others.
But I remained mute,
The words trapped inside unspoken thoughts.
She moved through the crowd,
Heading for the door and
Away from my presence.
I sighed, kicking myself
For missing my opportunity.
She spun around,
Flashing wintry sunlight with her eyes.
She noticed me looking at her.
She smiled, and then she was out the door.
Others continued moving
Around my motionless self.
More work, always work to do.
Yet I remained as they moved on,
Frozen by my own fear and awkwardness,
Wanting to express my feelings for her.

Comments