Postcard #9: Living on the Edge, Part One

I have always been fascinated by angels and their personification. This next postcard is an early example from 24 years ago or so. I debated whether I should share it when I plan to publish a new one in a few days that is very similar. The style and voice of this one is old, almost ancient. A part of me I haven't visited in a very long time. I prefer my current style much more over this, but I also like putting the old with the new, as two parts to the same story, although the inspiration for each one came from two different sources. Actually, that's a lie. Same Muse, but now an older, wiser Muse. More on that story in Part Deux.


At the Edge of the Nether World

Chasing her through the suffocating, unholy fog,
His hands brushing aside her auburn tresses,
Reached the Prince for his lover’s shoulder.
Instinctively she cried his fell name,
Shuddering beneath the chilling grip.
Tempted her he did with empty promises,
Intriguing the lady with dreams
Never known to living souls,
Arousing forbidden fantasies within her heart.
Moments passed after she stopped and turned,
Impish visage reflected in her hazel eyes.
Come with me, he spoke desperately,
His rough hand stroking her smooth cheek.
Escape with me, she pleaded,
letting herself rise away from his touch.
Languidly he released the Daughter from above,
Empty eternity falling open without mortal love.



 Artwork: Jupiter and Io, by Antonio Allegri da Correggio

Comments